If you unable to connect to the SQL Server while setting up GateKeeper Hub, you will see the following messages based on the version of the GateKeeper Hub.
Version 3.5.24 and prior:
Verify the IP address of the computer that the SQL Server is installed on. If it is on the same machine, just enter ‘(local)’. If it is on a different machine, log on to that machine. Open the Command Prompt, type ‘ipconfig’, and note the IP address of the machine.
SQL Server on Same Machine:
- Open Computer Management and navigate to Services and Applications > SQL Server Configuration Manager.
- Click on SQL Server Services, and note the name and status of the SQL Server. If the SQL Server is not running, right click it, and then start it.
- In the GateKeeper Hub configuration manager, put in the SQL Server address as (local)\SQLINSTANCENAME. For example, if the SQL instance is called SQLEXPRESS, you will put in (local)\SQLEXPRESS in the Hub configuration manager.
SQL Server on Remote Machine:
- Log on to the remote computer.
- Open Computer Management and navigate to Services and Applications -> SQL Server Configuration Manager.
- Click on SQL Server Services, and note the name and status of the SQL Server. If the SQL Server is not running, right click it and then start it.
- Then click on SQL Server Network Configuration and choose the SQL instance you want to connect to.
- Click on Protocols for that instance and enable the TCP/IP protocol. By default, the port used by SQL Server instance is 1433. If you want to change it, you can open the TCP/IP protocol and set up your own ports.
- Finally, on the GateKeeper Hub configuration manager, put in the IP address, port number, and SQL Server instance in the form of: IPADDRESS,PORTNUMBER\SQLINSTANCE.
For example, it can be 192.168.1.44,1433\SQLEXPRESS.
Using SQL Server Management Studio:
To check the instance name of the SQL Server, open SQL Server Management Studio and verify the instance name by clicking Connect to log in. The instance name is under ‘Server name’.
For any additional questions or concerns regarding proximity login, credential management, or compliance, please contact GateKeeper Enterprise support using the Support Ticket form on https://gkaccess.com/support/ or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
SQL server connection error; can't connect to SQL server; SQL server issues; Structured Query Language errors; SQL problems; problems with sql;